Wednesday, February 1, 2012

CURVEBALL

This blog is supposed to be purely about hair, but I dont think a few posts here and there will hurt. Someone relatively close to me may have the Hodge! She is not technically family, my sisters cousin, but close enough! What are the frikin odds right. Somewhere close to 8,000 people get this monstrous thing per year in the United States. Half those people are women. So 2 out of 4,000 women in the ENTIRE UNITED STATES end up being in kind of the same family? That is upsurd and unreal and it just makes me mad. Lets just hope it actually is the Hodge because it is the 'hollywood' cancer as my oncologist would say. Only because it is so treatable---high cure rate. I hope to talk to her soon. It was nice for me to talk to someone who had the same thing as me. I knew 2 women, one 20 years or so in remission and one 2 years in remission. They both really helped me and were really optimistic. It is nice to be able to even text that person when you have a question. So I hope that is what I will be able to do for her. And hey, maybe my wigs can go to good use now.

I was also kind of a freak about looking up stuff on the internet. I would literally sit on here for hours and read other peoples blogs. Before I started losing my hair it would scare me to death to read about everyones different stories, but once I lost mine it was just kind of cool to be able to compare my story to theirs. Which by the way are all relatively the same. If they were on ABVD that is. Adriamyicin. The hair killer. I hated when they pushed that red crap into my veins because I knew within about 7 or 8 days it would take the little hair I had left away. But the stories went something like this --- I found a lump in my neck. went to the docs. they biopsied it. put me on chemo for 4-6 months. I either got radiation after, or was cancer free after just the chemo. all my hair fell out. and now its going to grow back! the end.

which is what happened to me too! and most of the ones I read were a few years old so the person always talked about how they were 2 years in remission, 5 years. It was always a breath of fresh air. I only stumbled across a few that said the cancer came back. But even then, my doctor said that with different medicines they could make it go away again. I don't know, I am just glad that I had this kind of cancer. Really glad actually. I would completely 100% choose cancer over diabetes or some other chronic disease. You just have to look at things differently now. Yeah your life will probably suck for a few months, I wont sugar coat that one. The cancer will take about a year of your life to deal with. But after that you wont ever have to worry about it again. Well besides the follow up doctor visits. Other than that life goes on. You will become a stronger person and all that nonsensical stuff people tell you. I don't see my self as 'stronger' really. Just a kid that had to deal with some annoying bullshit for a while.

life goes on. the hair comes back. nothing more to it really =]

No comments:

Post a Comment